As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Beef brisket is mainly a cut from the breast section and generally preferred boneless by many. Being a tough cut, beef brisket yields great results when it is cooked slowly. Who would not love to have a rich delicacy made with leftover brisket?
The cooked meat has a grilled texture with juicy and tender consistency and a smoky flavor. You can make a variety of mouth-watering recipes and delicacies without any hassles. These recipes will give you a new take on how to use the leftovers.
Generally, while preparing beef brisket recipes, some of the pieces of beef are considered to be leftovers. There is no need to throw out the leftover beef brisket as you can make delicious recipes with it. Yes, you heard it right. You may utilize the brisket leftovers in the most productive way by preparing easy-to-make lip-smacking recipes that are sure to impress the people around you.
Brisket tacos – Basics
Here are our favorite six recipes that you may easily make at home with the leftover beef brisket. The best part about these dishes is that they may be prepared using simple and regular ingredients that are easily available in your kitchen. Get ready to spellbind your loved ones with these favorite, flavorsome recipes using leftover smoked brisket!
Brisket tacos recipe – Brisket Grilled Sandwich with Oodles of Cheese
This comfort snack is an all-time favorite, all thanks to the melted gooey cheesy taste with the irresistible flavor of juicy and tender beef brisket followed by the crispy bread. This smoked-to-perfection meal is sure to soothe your taste buds with a burst of flavorsome taste. This will become one of your favorite recipes very quickly!
Time duration: 15 minutes
Beef brisket tacos – Recipe ingredients
- Texas toast or Italian bread (8 slices)
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (1 cup)
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese (1 cup)
- Shredded smoked beef brisket (2-3 slices)
Leftover brisket tacos – Procedure
- Spread ½ tablespoon of butter on the bread. Repeat this process with each piece of bread. For making a sandwich, place the buttered side of the bread downwards.
- Now take the unbuttered side of the bread and cover it with the shredded Cheddar and then place a layer of smoked brisket on it. Now again cover it up with a layer of shredded Monterey Jack.
- Place another piece of bread (unbuttered side) downwards on the top. Repeat the same process for the remaining bread pieces for making sandwiches.
- Heat a cast-iron pan on medium heat. You can cook one or two sandwiches at a time. Heat them until they become golden brown on both sides. Make sure to get that perfect melted cheesy topping.
Preparing brisket – Breakfast Quesadillas using Four Ingredients
This breakfast quesadillas recipe would be a great treat for breakfast. This evergreen delicacy requires only four ingredients. This cheesy delight, barbeque flavored quesadilla would serve as a flavorsome start to your day. To add some toppings, you can pour barbeque sauce or can even serve it with your favorite dip.
Time duration: 20 minutes
Leftover brisket ideas – Recipe ingredients
- Tortillas (12 burrito-sized)
- Smoked brisket (1-2 lbs)
- Barbeque sauce (1-2 cups)
- Shredded Colby Jack Cheese (16 oz)
- Cooking spray
Brisket taco recipe – Procedure
- Cover the brisket with the barbeque sauce. Make sure you spread the sauce evenly on the smoked brisket to infuse maximum taste and flavor.
- Set out the 6 floured tortillas and sprinkle them with half the cheese.
- You need to divide the smoked brisket evenly among the tortillas.
- Sprinkle the remaining shredded cheese and top it with the layer of other 6 tortilla slices.
- Take a large pan for sautéing and use a cooking spray on it. Keep the heat between low to medium.
- Cook them until they get browned and then flip on the other side.
- Remove them from the sauté pan when the cheese is completely melted.
- Let the quesadilla settle down. Cut it into the pieces and serve.
Leftover brisket recipe – Smoked Brisket Hash
If you want a recipe that allows you to prepare a flavorful dish for brunch, then nothing could be better than a smoked brisket hash. This dish is loaded with proteins and tastes like heaven. Give a great kick start to your day with this dish that contains golden potatoes with sizzling garlic, peppers, and onions in the pan.
Time duration: 30 minutes approximately
Brisket taco -Recipe Ingredients
- Cooked and shredded smoked beef brisket (2 cups)
- Cooked hash brown potatoes (2 cups)
- 3 Eggs
- Diced green bell pepper (1/2 cup)
- Diced red bell pepper (1/2 cup)
- Chopped yellow onion (1/2 cup)
- Canola oil (3 tablespoons)
- Minced garlic (1 clove)
- Salt (1 tablespoon)
- Pepper (1 tablespoon)
Recipe for leftover brisket – Procedure
- Firstly, you need to place a cast-iron skillet on the grill to pre-heat it.
- When it is ready for cooking, you can start the Traeger on smoke and keep the lid open for 4-5 minutes until the fire gets established.
- Set the temperature to 450 degrees F for preheating. Now close the lid for up to 10-15 minutes.
- Take a skillet and pour the oil in it. Put the peppers and onion and sauté them till they get translucent.
- Now add the garlic and let it cook for 3-4 minutes and then add the pre-cooked potatoes, eggs, and beef brisket.
- Cook till the beef brisket is heated thoroughly and gets a golden brown texture for 10 minutes approximately.
- Now sprinkle pepper and salt. Stir the mixture and serve hot.
Leftover beef brisket recipes – Smoked Brisket Shepherd’s Pie loaded with Mashed Potatoes infused with Cheddar Cheese
Time duration: 60 minutes
Your craving for the ultimate delicious snack ends here. This dish is the perfect flavorsome treat that your family and guests will love. Let yourself indulge in oodles of cheesy taste blended with golden potatoes followed by the BBQ brisket.
Brisket leftovers – Recipe ingredients needed for Shepherd’s Pie
- Chopped and smoked BBQ brisket (2 pounds)
- 3 Carrots (chopped or sliced evenly)
- 1 Broccoli (cut into bite-size florets)
- Frozen mixed vegetables such as peas, corn and many more as per your choice (2 cups)
- 1 sweet or red onion (minced)
- Butter (2 tablespoons)
- Olive oil (1 tablespoon)
- Beef broth (1 ½ cup)
- Flour (3-4 tablespoon)
Recipe ingredients needed for Jalapeno Cheddar Mashed Potatoes
- Quartered baby red potatoes (2 pounds)
- Shredded Cheddar cheese (1 ½ cups)
- 1 jalapeno (minced finely, and remove the seeds for less heat)
- Butter cubes (4 tablespoons)
- Sour cream (1/2 cup)
- Whipping cream (1/4 cup)
- Minced garlic (3 cloves)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
What to make with leftover brisket – Procedure
- Take a Dutch oven or a large skillet, and heat the pan to a medium temperature. Add olive oil and butter and let it melt till it turns into a light simmer.
- Add the onion and carrots and sauté them till the carrots get softened. You can even use a fork to check the texture. Add the broccoli florets, chopped BBQ brisket, and mixed vegetables, stir them and then add the beef broth.
- Cook the broth till it gets a brownish texture and then sprinkles the flour. Ensure that the broth gets thickened slightly in the simmering mixture and then pour the mixture in a casserole of 13×9 inch and set it aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. In a Dutch oven, put a pot of salted water for boiling and add the potatoes till they get soft and tender, for up to 10-12 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes properly and then return them to the Dutch oven. With the help of a hand mixer or a potato masher, add the butter and let it melt during the blending process.
- Mix the whipping cream along with sour cream and add jalapeno, garlic, and cheddar cheese. Now add salt and pepper to it.
- Using a spoon, put the mashed potato on the smoked brisket shepherd’s pie mix. Place it inside the oven and let it bake for up to 35 minutes or till the potatoes turn golden brown.
- Leave the pie to rest for up to 10 minutes before serving. You can even serve it along with a loaf of cornbread or BBQ side dishes.
What to make with brisket – Smoked Brisket Bruschetta
This delectable and light recipe would be a great way to utilize leftover brisket. Being a perfect snack for starters, this dish is loaded with lip-smacking BBQ flavor. Pick your favorite toasted baguette slices and top them with the juicy BBQ brisket for a lip-smacking snack.
Time duration: 20-25 minutes
Leftover beef brisket – Recipe ingredients
- 1 baguette (cut into slices evenly)
- Olive oil (2-4 tablespoons)
- Shredded leftover BBQ brisket (1 heaped cup)
- BBQ sauce (1/3 cup)
- Sour cream or thick yogurt (3 tablespoons)
- Chopped parsley (2 tablespoons)
Brisket meals – Procedure
- Turn the oven broiler to high temperature.
- Place the slices of baguette on a baking sheet and brush them lightly with olive oil.
- Place it inside the oven to broil and set the temperature to high heat for 3 minutes till the slices get toasted with a golden-colored texture and then remove them.
- Heat the skillet to a medium temperature and add the olive oil and shredded BBQ brisket. Add barbeque sauce to the brisket and stir fry it. Before pouring the BBQ sauce, ensure that the brisket is warm enough.
- Put the sour crème or thick yogurt in the piping bag and top each slice with 1 heaping spoon of brisket and barbeque mix, then top it with a dollop of sour crème. Garnish it with parsley for added flavor, and it’s ready to serve.
What can I use my lname brisket for dinner – Smoked Brisket Nachos
This nacho recipe may be your perfect companion for enjoying a movie at home with your friends and family. These delectable nachos are more than regular chips. They are loaded with oodles of cheesy flavor and meat layered to perfection for a lip-smacking taste you’ll love.
Time duration: 40 minutes
Leftover smoked brisket recipes – ingredients needed for making chili
- 1 Red onion (diced)
- Leftover brisket, chopped into small cubes (3 cups)
- 1 jalapeno with seeds and ribs removed (minced finely)
- Mild beer (1 cup)
- Coffee (1/4 cup)
- Tomato sauce (115 oz can)
- Tomato paste (2 tablespoons)
- 2 chipotle peppers (diced finely)
- Drained pinto beans (115 oz can)
- Canned green chilly (diced, 1 tablespoon)
- Chili seasoning (1 tablespoon)
- Cumin (1 tablespoon)
- Cayenne pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
- Smoked paprika (1/2 teaspoon)
- Salt (1 teaspoon)
Brisket leftovers recipe ingredients needed for nachos
- Corn chips (thick and sturdy)
- Brisket chili
- Cheddar cheese (smoked and shredded)
Brisket prep – Recipe ingredients needed for nacho toppings
- Tomatoes (diced)
- Jalapeno (thin slices)
- Onion (chopped finely)
- Sour cream
- Avocado (sliced)
Brisket leftover recipes – How to make Chili
- Pour olive oil in a saucepan, medium heated, and then cook for 3-4 minutes and add the chopped brisket and the jalapeno. Cook it for 1-2 minutes till it gets warmed up completely and thoroughly.
- Add the beer and allow it to simmer and then add coffee, tomato paste, tomato sauce, green chilies, pinto beans, and all the other spices. Mix them evenly.
- Bring the spice mix to a simmer and then reduce the heat, cook for about 20-30 minutes till the chili gets thickened and all the ingredients are combined evenly with each other.
Leftover smoked brisket – Preparing Brisket Nachos
- Create a single layer of corn tortilla chips with the help of cast iron skillet or a sheet pan.
- Layer the tortilla chips with a layer of shredded Cheddar cheese and chili. Create another layer by repeating the same process.
- If you have opted for an oven-safe platter, then you can place it inside the oven, to get that melted cheesy taste you love.
- Alternatively, you can also place a cast-iron skillet filled with nachos inside the grill and heat it to get a melted cheesy topping.
- Remove it when melted and finish it using the topping.
When to wrap brisket – Techniques/Tips to Improve
- Slicing: It is one of the foremost factors that you need to keep in mind while cooking brisket. Cut the leftover brisket into slices. Cutting the brisket into even slices ensures that the brisket gets cooked thoroughly. It also enhances the taste and flavor of the brisket as it allows better absorption of spices and seasoning.
- Basting: You may want to smoke or grill the leftover brisket. For this recipe, it is necessary to cover the brisket by adding some barbeque toppings for a delicious and flavorsome taste. For this, you can use a basting brush and spread the toppings evenly on the brisket slices. Make sure you top the barbeque sauce or spices mix on both sides of the brisket slices.
- Flipping: While in the pan or smoker/griller, it is important to flip the brisket slices. This helps in getting both sides of the brisket slices cooked uniformly with the desired taste and texture that you love.
Leftover brisket recipes – Correcting Common Problems
- Freezing: If you want to use leftover brisket, then you should freeze it properly to preserve its quality, texture, and flavor. For this, you may store the pieces of leftover brisket in an airtight container or a zip-lock bag and place them in the freezer. Make sure you cover the leftover brisket pieces with aluminum foil before putting them in an airtight bag. Then they’ll be in optimum condition when you want to use them in your favorite recipes.
- Defrosting: You cannot use the frozen brisket pieces immediately. You need to defrost the leftover brisket to make it suitable before preparing it for a recipe. All you need to do for defrosting is take out the brisket from the freezer and put it in a bowl of cold water. Then take a pan or an oven, place the brisket pieces into it and preheat them.
What temp to wrap brisket – Analysis of best practices in the industry
- Clean the brisket properly in cold water.
- Cut the edges to trim down the excess fat from the brisket.
- Start from the backside end of the brisket and start cutting it into the slices evenly.
- If you are using a griller, then the temperature should be around 225 degrees F.
- Wrap the brisket in a sheet and then cover it up with new aluminum foil when the meat is heated up to 160 degrees F.
- Remove the brisket when the meat reaches a temperature of 200 degrees F.
- Allow it to cool down and then start basting.
Leftover brisket – Tools you can use
- Basting brush
- Dutch oven
- Frying or sheet pan
- Cast-iron skillet
- Baking sheet
- Hand mixer/potato masher
- Knife and spoons
What to do with leftover brisket – Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What should I do with the leftover brisket?
You may make delicious recipes and snacks with the leftovers of brisket. Generally, people tend to consider leftovers as waste material but you can prepare easy snacks by combining leftover brisket with other basic kitchen ingredients to create a lip-smacking delicacy. You can make some of the easiest recipes and mouth-watering snacks, such as brisket grilled cheese sandwich, tasty brisket hash, breakfast quesadillas, and many more by using brisket leftovers in your favorite recipes.
2. How do you make leftover brisket tender?
You may need to follow a simple procedure for making the pieces of leftover brisket tender. Firstly, you need to cut down brisket into thick slices of ¼ inch. Put the slices into the roasting pan and cover the brisket slices by using defatted cooking fluid and reheat it slowly. By doing this, all the fat from the brisket leftover will be gone and the brisket meat will become tender and juicy, ready to use in whichever recipe you love.
3. How long is leftover brisket good?
As per the FDA Food Code, all perishable foods irrespective of if they may be prepared or opened must be consumed within a maximum period of seven days. No leftovers will survive in the refrigerator for longer than seven days. However, brisket meat that has been properly cooked and stored may last for about three to four days in the refrigerator. It is preferable to wrap the brisket leftover pieces either in new freezer wrap or aluminum foil.
4. Can you freeze leftover brisket?
Yes, you can freeze leftover brisket but do not freeze the cooked brisket meat more than once. You may freeze the leftover brisket meat in the freezer for a maximum period of up to three months. Try to consume the brisket within the prescribed period as its quality, taste, and flavor tend to diminish after a particular point of time. However, you will need to reheat the leftover brisket to a soaring temperature of 165 degrees F before serving it.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.